The EcoChic Design Award 2013 Open application is now closed.
What is it?
The EcoChic Design Award is a sustainable fashion design competition inspiring emerging fashion designers to create mainstream clothing with minimal textile waste. Designers are educated with the theory and techniques to enable them to create desirable sustainable clothing via zero-waste, up-cycling and reconstruction sustainable design techniques.
The 2013 competition cycle is open to fashion designers with less than three years’ professional experience and fashion design students living in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, UK, France, Belgium and Germany. One finalist from each of the eight regions will be selected to present their sustainable collection at Hong Kong Fashion Week in mid January 2014 to compete for career-changing prizes.
Who can apply?
Applicants who meet all of the following criteria may apply:
- Aged 18 or above (as of the application closing date on 15 August 2013).
- Currently live with a valid ID/passport/visa/resident permit in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, UK, France, Belgium or Germany.
- A fashion designer with less than three years’ professional fashion design experience or a fashion design student studying in any year at an educational institute in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, UK, France, Belgium or Germany.
- An individual (group applications are not permitted).
What is the competition design brief?
You are challenged to design a sustainable women’s wear collection, which has the appeal and quality to convince mainstream consumers that sustainable fashion can be the norm, not a niche. Your sustainable collection must be marketable to aspirational urban women aged 20-35 years.
You are challenged to cut waste out of fashion by using one or more of the following sustainable design techniques of zero-waste, up-cycling and reconstruction. To cut even deeper, you will need to get your hands on textile waste for the up-cycling and reconstruction outfits.
You are challenged in the open application to create three ready-to-wear outfit sketches (not complete outfits). If you make the cut to become one of the eight finalists, you must make these three ready-to-wear outfits into complete outfits. To test you further, you must then create two additional complete ready-to-wear outfits and one couture outfit in order to make your mark on the runway.
Your designs will be scored in three categories (in the open application and semi-final) and four categories (in the grand final) each with equal weighting according to: i) creativity and originality, ii) sustainability, iii) marketability and iv) workmanship (grand final only).
The competition’s design techniques and textile requirements
Applicants can base their outfit(s) and their entire collection on one or more of the three sustainable design techniques detailed below. In addition, applicants can combine the techniques within any of their garments.
How do I apply?
Download The EcoChic Design Award 2013 Application Form.
Here is a summary of the open application design requirements. The following information should be used as a guide only, as more detailed information is expected from you as outlined in the application form.
When submitting your application form:
- It must be in pdf format.
- It must not exceed 10MB.
- You will email your application form to your specific region’s email address, from the region in which you live and are applying from. Email addresses can be found here.
- The deadline to email your application form is Thursday15 August 2013 at 11.59pm (local time in your region). Any applications received after this time will not be accepted.
- Within 24 hours of submitting your application form, you will receive an email from Redress to confirm we have received your application form.
What happens if I make it to the semi-final?
After the competition deadline on 15 August 2013, the local judging panel will select the top three applicants from their specific region to go through to the semi-final.
These 24 semi-finalists, formed of three semi-finalists from each of the eight regions, will be notified by Redress on 30 August 2013. The 24 semi-finalists will be announced on the www.ecochicdesignaward.com website on 2 September 2013.
Following this, the international judging panel will review the 24 semi-finalists’ applications. You may be required to have a phone or Skype interview with the judges between 2 to 9 of September 2013. Following the international judges’ assessment, the top eight finalists, formed of one finalist from each of the eight regions, will be selected.
All semi-finalists will win educational and career-enhancing prizes can be found here.
What happens if I make it to the grand final?
The eight finalists, formed of one finalist from each of the eight regions, will be directly notified by Redress on 13 September 2013. The eight finalists will be announced on www.ecochicdesignaward.com on 17 September 2013.
The eight finalists will be briefed further about the grand final requirements upon their notification. However, here is a brief summary of the grand final design requirements:
The eight finalists will need to sign an agreement with Redress agreeing that they confirm to the dates, schedules and grand final terms being confirmed as a finalist and published on www.ecochicdesignaward.com. In brief, this agreement will require you to confirm that you are able to:
- Visit Hong Kong from 13-17 January 2014 (exact dates TBC) to attend the grand final fashion show, seminar, workshop and other events organised by Redress (travel and accommodation costs covered by Redress).
- Send a work-in-progress report of your competition collection by 1 November 2013. This is to ensure that your competition collection is being produced in a timely manner and to a high quality and standard. This work-in-progress report will not be used for judging purposes.
- Send your completed competition collection to Hong Kong by 25 November 2013 (postage covered by Redress).
What happens if I win?
Firstly, congratulations! You will not embark on a new sustainable design journey.
The 1st prize is The EcoChic Design Award 2013 in partnership with Esprit and this winner will design a recycled textile collection for Esprit.
The runner-up prize is The EcoChic Design Award 2013 in partnership with John Hardy and this winner will go on an educational trip to John Hardy’s sustainable production facilities in Bali, Indonesia.
Plus, all finalists will win educational and career-enhancing prizes.
More information about all of the career-changing prizes can be found here.